Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Ophidiophobia


The other night Mark, Aiden, and I went out to dinner. Wee drove separate vehicles because Mark was meeting us after work. Aiden screamed through dinner after grabbing hot French fries and shoving them in his mouth. I had to leave the restaurant twice to get him to chill out. Needless to say I was glad to get out of there. As we began to leave Mark told me that he was going to be just a few minutes behind me because he needed to get gas. No problem.

When Aiden and I got home I went straight inside and changed him and put him to bed. I had to go back outside to get a few things from the car. At this point it is almost dark. As I passed the pond I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. After only one more step I almost flew out of my skin.

There was a SNAKE hangin out in MY pond! I ran inside and stood inside the screen door. I watched as he swam around, as it was a warm evening and thought about how cool he looked. This really bothered me even behind the door becuase I have such a fear of snakes. I kept thinking that Mark would pull in the driveway at any point. About 10 minutes passed and still no Mark. I stood their watching this snake swim. He would dive to the bottom and come back to the top. I didn’t want him to get out, so occasionally when he would peek his head out of the pond I would throw something in the pond to scare him back in.

When Mark got home he couldn’t believe that I had stood there so long, and then he wanted to know what I wanted him to do to it. Kill it, I said. Now I know that this snake did nothing to me, but I couldn’t help but think of AIden and well me opening the door to find our friend at a later date.

So Mark made me attempt to hold the flashlight on this snake (because it is dark), while he fished him out of the pond. When I say this I really mean throw the snake out of the pond.

Finally after a very long time Mark got the snake out of the pond and disposed of him. Mmmmmm- my hero!

We think that it was a rat snake but still aren’t sure.Even though we have lived here for over two years and there has never been a snake in the pond- I am ready to rip that bad boy out of the ground and get rid of it!

No comments: